Sunday 27 November 2016

The Mists of Avalon (Audio Book Review)

Marion Zimmer Bradley’s The Mists of Avalon was first published in 1983, but I never read it before. Now I listened to it as audio book, excellently narrated by Davina Porter. Even though it’s a very long book – lasting nearly 51 hours – I was kept under a spell all the way.

The novel has been called a feminist take on the Arthurian legend; telling the events predominantly from the point of view of Morgaine, Arthur’s half-sister, who is more often (in other versions of the legend) portrayed as an evil sorceress (Morgan le Fay). We also get the perspectives of other female characters, like Morgaine’s mother and aunts, and Arthur’s wife Gwenhwyfar; while all the men sort of remain in the background for a change.

However, the book is not only about the male vs female lookout on life; but also a great deal about the clashes between the old religion (represented by Avalon) and the new (Christianity).

The ruler of the mystic realm of Avalon, also known as the Lady of the Lake, is the High Priestess of the old (Brittonic) religion. For the major part of the story, this position is held by Morgaine’s aunt Viviane – while Igraine, Morgaine’s mother, spends her last years in a Christian convent. Morgaine herself continues to cling to her bond with Avalon; even though with time, that ancient island seems to be drifting further and further into the mists (and getting harder and harder to find one’s way to, even for believers).

King Arthur’s wife Gwenhwyfar on the other hand is a firm believer in the new religion (Christianity); while certain other characters, including Arthur himself and (the) Merlin*, act as sort of go-betweens, looking for compromises. (For better or for worse will be up to each reader to decide for him/herself, I think!)

*Merlin in this book is not a personal name but rather the Merlin; indicating an ancient druid title in Avalon.

All in all I found the novel giving “food for thought” for our own turbulent times as well.

6 comments:

  1. I have heard of this! I think they even made a T.V. movie about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ginny, there is a TV film or mini series from 2001 based on this novel. I think I may even have seen it back then but not sure.

      Delete
  2. I read this and remember liking it very much. I'm a total Arthur freak and have read dozens and dozens of books about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I've read a few versions of the Arthurian tales as well - both old and new :)

      Delete
  3. What a blast from the past for me! I must have read this book the year it came out, as I remember it was in my mid-teens, and I was 15 in 1983. Back then, I was at the height of a "Fantasy" phase of mine, where I read almost only such novels, started when I was 12-13 years old and lasting several years.
    I was too young then to see the feminist aspect in the book; all I remember is that I really liked it and looked for every book I could find by the same author after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, back in my mid/late teens I read Mary Stewart's Crystal Cave series, also based on the Arthurian story (told from Merlin's point of view)... I have returned to that once or twice since then too.

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...