Sunday 3 January 2016

Memorable Reads from 2015

btt button
By Deb on December 31, 2015
What were your favorite books of 2015?
How many books did you read this year?
Are you happy with the amount of reading you got done?
Wish you’d had more time? (I know I always do!)

Going through my list, it seems that I read/listened to 52 titles last year. There may have been a few more that I forgot to add – but an average of one per week sounds about right. (Some long, some short!)

Some were old favourites reread, others new to me.

Childhood favourites reread least year were Mary Poppins and Pippi Longstocking (in Swedish), Louisa Alcott’s Little Women, and towards the end of the year, The Scotch Twins by Lucy Fitch Perkins.

In the summer, I listened to audio versions of all the major Jane Austen novels: Mansfield Park, Emma, Pride & Prejudice, Sense & Sensibility, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. I have read all of them before, more than once! (+ film and TV adaptations)

In October I got started on the Barsetshire novels by Anthony Trollope, British classics I’ve known about but never got round to reading until now. Before the end of the year I had finished four out of six in that series: The Warden, Barchester Towers, Doctor Thorne and Framley Parsonage. Seems to me that some of these should be excellent material for TV series as well; so was glad when I read on Terra’s blog just recently that indeed a series based on Doctor Thorne seems to be planned already!

Back in the spring I made an enjoyable new acquaintance in the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths, and read all seven books so far published pretty much in one swoop. Looking forward to No. 8 in the series to be published in April this year!

I also liked Peter May’s Runaway, and am looking forward to a  new book by him even sooner (Coffin Road, January 14), in which he’ll be returning to the Outer Hebrides as setting.

 

6 comments:

  1. I am glad you are reading the Chronicles of Barsetshire, aren't they charming and wise? My Christmas gift book is 6 short stories by Anthony Trollope "Christmas as Thompson Hall" and I laughed out loud at the first one in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Terra, I like them. I have been listening to the Audible narrations + reading some chapters on Kindle. I find they make very good bedtime reading - not in the sense being boring, but being "nice" :)

      Delete
  2. Your reading summary makes for an interesting read itself :-)
    I love to re-read old (childhood) favourites, and am also glad to have come across some new books which have impressed me and will stay in my mind for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meike. Yes I do like to vary my reading a bit, and I know that you do, too!

      Delete
  3. i just went to Amazon and counted how many for 2015 and i have read 160 books for the year. i assume that means i did not need more time, but need to read less...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you must be a fast reader, Sandra! (Or maybe I watch too much TV...)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...