Tuesday 3 February 2015

Teaser Tuesday (Feb 3)

TeaserTuesdays2014e

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

“The rails themselves had already been lifted, and were laid along the side of the track awaiting collection. There was a sad sense of abandonment about the place, haunted by the imaginary ghosts of all the passengers who must once have passed this way, the distant echo of forgotten steam trains lost in the mists of railway history.”

Peter May – Runaway

The setting of Peter May’s new novel shifts between 2015 and 1965; the scene above is from 1965.

Hadlow Road Station

This is a postcard I recently received from a friend in England, which  came to mind when I read the quote above – an old station and railway no longer in use…

The novel and the postcard both connect to my own memories from holidays in Britain back in 1969-1974. My dad was a railway and steam trains enthusiasts, and every family holiday, whether in Sweden or Britain, always included various abandoned dilapidated old stations, as well as steam train museums…  Peter May manages to bring those memories (and others) to life without using photos! I’ve not yet finished the book – will probably be back with a review when I have.

10 comments:

  1. What a haunting teaser. Hope you enjoy the book, it sounds interesting.

    My Teaser this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a beautiful old railway station.. I would love to see it. I am reading the 2nd in Thea Campbell mystery.. i have a post coming up on her.. Error in Judgment is the title of this one.
    "Grinning, I took my dessert to the bed, sat cross legged, and ate occasionally while I mostly waved the fork around telling him of my conversation with Andrea and Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful description and a great teaser. I like the photo too, but the teaser makes me picture it almost in sepia tones, with steam misting up the platform and ghostly people walking by. Such a cool tease!

    Here are My Teasers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good teaser. Nicely phrased. My teaser is from The Cursed

    ReplyDelete
  5. This passage from Peter May is wonderful! Echoes of the past like it is sill alive in a way. Old tracks and closed up stations are so sad to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a haunting teaser. I can almost hear the train whistle. Reminded of that scene in Fried Greeb Tomatoes.

    My TT - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/02/03/teaser-tuesdays-100-one-more-day-what-if-tommorrow-never-happens/

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I like the classic red phone booth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a "thng" for abandoned places, whether it be railway stations or farm houses or anything else. So this, of course, is intriguing.
    Here is a teaser from my current read:
    "What the hell was Margaret going to say when she returned from holiday and realised that her sister was giving free board and lodging to the man who had cheated her on so many fronts? She didn't dare think about it."
    The book is "The Teashop on the Corner" from Milly Johnson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "He called to her and asked, Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink? As she was going to get it, he called. And bring me, please a piece of bread.
    "As surely as the Lord your God lives", she replied, "I don't have any bread ~ only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug, I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it ~~and die." I Kings 17:11-12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes... I recognize what story that belongs to. Elijah :)

      Delete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...