Monday 2 June 2014

A Postcard

RU--2707361

I’m still enjoying Postcrossing. Sharing every nice card that drops in through my letterbox on the blog as well just takes too much time, I’m afraid.

But this card that arrived today made me smile, and I felt I wanted to share it. The sender managed to find a card that combines no less than three rather different things on my postcrossing wishlist: book illustrations, butterflies and “anything to do with tea”.

The scene reminds me of the Mad Hatter’s tea party in Alice in Wonderland, but the sender informs me that it belongs to a Russian fairy tale “Buzzy-Wuzzy Busy Fly” by K.I. Chukovsky. Looking him up in Wikipedia, I find that Korney Ivanovich Chukovsky (1882 – 1969) was one of the most popular children's poets in the Russian language. His catchy rhythms, inventive rhymes and absurd characters have also invited comparisons with the American children's author Dr. Seuss. (As it happens, I don’t think I ever read any book by Dr Seuss either, even if I’ve heard of him.)

6 comments:

  1. this is really cute.. love the tea party thing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. An insect tea party, I love it!!! It DOES remind me of the Mad Hatter's tea party. I am going to look up this Russian author, he must be brilliant. Maybe I can find some cute little poems for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I immediately thought of Lewis Carroll. It is good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun post card! cards that I especially like get framed. this one would fit that bill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My immediate thought was of a Russian Mad Hatter's Tea Party too. It's certainly a rather splendid picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the beautiful big tea samovar!
    And you should read Dr Seuss if you have small kids - they might love it for the sound of the words, even if they don't really understand them!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...