Monday 16 May 2011

New Camera

I’ve been thinking for over a year, perhaps two, about buying a new camera. Especially every time I’ve tried to zoom in a bird and ended up with results like this:

DSCN3744 

On the other hand I knew that if I got a big complicated camera with lots of lenses and stuff, for one thing I would find it too heavy to carry around with me, and for another no bird would have the patience to wait around until I’d figured out what setting to use!

However, while I’ve been thinking, digital cameras have evolved. This weekend a review in my local newspaper of the Nikon Coolpix S9100 caught my attention. (My old camera is a Nikon Coolpix 4600… ) So I went on to check out further details on the internet. But when I started comparing it to a few other similar ones within the same price range, there was another one that on the whole to me seemed even more interesting. And available in a technical outlet store within walking distance from where I live…

… I’m now waiting for the battery to load, so that I can start getting properly acquainted with my new …

 Casio EX-H30:

image   image

Whether I’ll be singing its praises soon or muttering over some unforeseen disadvantages remains to be seen!

This more or less sums up why I bought it:

* It’s nearly as small and light as my old Coolpix.
* Long life battery (up to 1000 images)
* 16.1 megapixels (my old one 4.0)
* 12.5x optical zoom, 18.8 single Super Resolution zoom
   (my old one 3x optical zoom)
* 24 mm wide angle
* HD video
* Panorama function
* Manual options for shutter speed and aperture
* Macro shots as close as 1 cm

What I guess will feel a bit strange to begin with is the lack of optical viewfinder. (My old Coolpix has one.) But that was the same with the other cameras I compared this one to. What made this one stand out compared to the others was the battery, the manual options, the panorama, and the 1 cm macro.

---

Ah. The battery seems to have loaded in four hours as promised.
Looking forward to getting started with the fun! :)

3 comments:

  1. can't wait to see what your new zoom finds. waiting with bated breath...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I'm not ready yet, but with so many cameras out there, it's so hard to focus in on just one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given the wonderful pictures you produced with your old camera I think we can expect you to find a whole new world out there. Happy hunting.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...