Friday 9 September 2016

Elephant Reflections

CIMG9550

Tests have shown elephants to exhibit mirror self-recognition.
I can’t claim that these photos confirm it, as the elephants weren’t so close to the water as to actually look down at their own reflections…

But my camera caught them! Winking smile 

CIMG9553

CIMG9552

CIMG9554

Elephants are also among the species known to use tools.

CIMG9546
I’m not sure what this one was trying to do with this tree, though… Just some trunk-to-trunk stretching exercises, perhaps…?

CIMG9360

The elephant’s trunk, containing over 40,000 muscles, is undeniably a rather handy tool in itself - used for breathing, smelling, touching, grasping, and producing sound, all-in-one.

CIMG9361

CIMG9544

Sharing with Weekend Reflections 

13 comments:

  1. Great pictures of that big animal!
    Have a nice weekend,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome!! And the animals behind look so tiny. The 40,000 muscles is wild! I love these reflections in the blue, blue water.Funny trunk shot! He must be feeling for something up high where he can't see. although I love your art and sculpture posts, this is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, these are the best elephant shots ever. Love the reflections, and love those "trunks".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos, really like the mirror images. Elephants are a fascination of mine. The first gift my husband ever gave me, back when he was my boyfriend, was a stuffed elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful pictures, dear mo!
    is this the zoo in your town?
    I love the peaceful coexistance of all the different animals in one 'garden'.
    best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mo, these pictures are from the zoo in my town. As I bought a season pass this summer, there have been quite a few zoo posts on the blog recently; which is why I don't repeat all the info every time :)

      Delete
  6. WOW! Love all the Elephants shots and the reflection in th water are marvellous. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just the elephants are AWESOME and adding the reflections is double awesome.. these are gorgeous. the photos and the elephants... I love the one pushing on the tree, all those wrinkles are so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love elephants, there is something so beautiful and wise about them.

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your comments! :)

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...